THE COLLEGE OF LAW AND SINGAPORE INSTITUTE OF LEGAL EDUCATION FORGE STRATEGIC COLLABORATION.
Posted on: 03 May 2012
Written by: Claire Middleton
The College of Law has formed a strategic collaboration with the Singapore Institute of Legal Education (the Institute) to develop new learning programmes for aspiring and qualified lawyers in the city-state and the region.
The Institute is a statutory body with the remit of maintaining and improving the standards of legal education in Singapore both pre- and post-qualification.
Under the agreed Memorandum of Understanding the College will draw on its unique heritage as the leading global professional law school to work with the Institute to develop innovative professional and continuing professional development (CPD) programmes.
The two organisations also plan to set up a jointly-run summer school programme aimed at newly qualified lawyers in Singapore and the wider region to enable them to better prepare for the demands of delivering legal services in increasingly diverse markets. This will focus in particular on corporate practice and dispute resolution.
The College is one of the first accredited providers of CPD, which has become compulsory in Singapore for newly-qualified lawyers under regulations which came into force on April 1, 2012.
The relationship also envisages that the College will work with the Institute in developing its existing training programme for law graduates wishing to be admitted to the Singapore Bar. The ‘Preparatory Course leading to Part B of the Singapore Bar Examinations’ is the equivalent of the Legal Practice Course in England and Wales. The College has led the way in developing on line teaching and learning for young lawyers entering global corporate practice.
It is hoped that this initial collaboration will eventually enable The College of Law to establish a permanent presence in Singapore and develop further face-to-face and online training courses tailored to the needs of the Singaporean legal community.
Professor Nigel Savage (pictured), Chief Executive of The College of Law, said: “The College and the Institute have the common aim of supporting Singapore’s growing success as a global hub for legal services and education and share a vision of legal education in a global context.
“We aim to retain and attract the very best aspiring and qualified lawyers at all levels of practice by delivering world-class learning programmes suited to the needs of the Singapore economy. To achieve this the College will draw on its unique heritage and experience in the development, design and delivery of world-class learning and development. The initiative will also support the strategic aspirations of our English law firm clients who are currently investing heavily in Singapore and the wider region.”
As part of the collaboration the College will be sharing its expertise in e-learning methods, developed over many years during the evolution of its pre- and post-qualification programmes, as well as helping to develop and deliver face-to-face training modules.
David Quark, Executive Director of the Singapore Institute of Legal Education, said: “We are very pleased to collaborate with an established institution like the College of Law. In our interactions with the College to date, we have been impressed by its catalogue of legal education products and its clear leadership in postgraduate and continuing legal education.”
The College of Law, which has eight centres across the UK, has already formed ‘best friend’ relationships with the global law schools IE Law School in Madrid and Beijing’s Renmin University of China Law School as well as collaborating with Northwestern University School of Law in Chicago.
- Baker & McKenzie Hosts Myanmar's Mining Minister to Discuss Myanmar's Mining Future
23 May 2013 12:24 | Comments (0)
- FAST Lawyersâ€™ Group discusses latest internet copyright and enforcement practices
14 Mar 2013 11:07 | Comments (0)
- Uncertainty is the biggest hurdle in fund regulation transitions according to leading think tank
04 Oct 2012 14:33 | Comments (0)
- PINSENT MASONS BOOSTS CLIENT SERVICE
18 Aug 2011 10:47 | Comments (0)
- CLA appoints Ian Russell as new board director
05 Jun 2013 15:59 | Comments (0)
- Small businesses will be 'incandescent' if oil price fixing allegations are true, says Forum
15 May 2013 14:35 | Comments (0)
- Baker & McKenzie Advises Sportingbet On Major Domain Name Dispute
27 Sep 2012 16:13 | Comments (0)
- Career Legal Tops Legal Division of 2012 Standard Chartered Great City Race
13 Jul 2012 13:57 | Comments (0)
- Billionaire brothers charged in Hong Kong bribery scandal
13 Jul 2012 10:08 | Comments (0)
- Sierra Gorda and Abengoa Sign Two Transmission Line Agreements
13 Jul 2012 10:24 | Comments (0)
- QATAR HOLDING IN INDONESIA
12 Dec 2011 14:54 | Comments (14)
- NESTLE BID CLEARS ANTITRUST
08 Dec 2011 15:25 | Comments (7)
- UBS recruits former Deutsche lawyer as first Asia-Pacific GC
18 Feb 2011 11:48 | Comments (5)
- BAR COUNCIL ON LEGAL AID
13 Dec 2011 15:20 | Comments (1)
- SUPREME COURT ON EMPLOYMENT
14 Dec 2011 12:13 | Comments (1)
- PREPARE NOW FOR NEW EU LEGISLATION
09 Feb 2012 09:18 | Comments (1)
- Domain name disputes will be quicker and cheaper in Brazil
28 Aug 2012 15:15 | Comments (1)
- Law Society urges caution over calls for separate representation
30 Aug 2012 11:06 | Comments (1)
- AXA response to Court of Appeal Judgment regarding Autofocus
04 Feb 2013 14:46 | Comments (1)
- LORDS COMMITTEE WARN AGAINST COMPLACENCY OVER EUROZONE CRISIS
13 Feb 2013 11:31 | Comments (1)
- Antony Hodari acquires high-profile personal injury firm
11 Sep 2012 11:06 | Comments (0)
- TAGLaw Awarded Elite Ranking
19 Mar 2013 10:35 | Comments (0)
- New money laundering accusations for global banking giant
19 Mar 2013 14:35 | Comments (0)
- JONES DAY MADRID – NEW ADDITIONS
13 Sep 2011 10:13 | Comments (0)
- CQS & LEXCEL FIRMS ACCESS TO PII PACKAGE
15 Sep 2011 10:40 | Comments (0)
- BAR COUNCIL TO TALK LEGAL AID AT LIB DEM CONFERENCE
16 Sep 2011 13:43 | Comments (0)
- ABA DISCUSS COURT UNDERFUNDING
20 Sep 2011 09:39 | Comments (0)
- FSA ACTED UNLAWFULLY, CONCLUDES KEYDATA JUDICIAL REVIEW
11 Oct 2011 16:22 | Comments (0)
- SCHULTZE & BRAUN: GERMAN LAW FIRM OF THE YEAR
05 Oct 2011 15:25 | Comments (0)
- ‘MODEST’ US RECOVERY PREDICTED
13 Oct 2011 09:08 | Comments (0)