Russell-Cooke’s Immigration Team Expands its Capabilities
24 Oct, 2012
Nisha Patel recently joined the Immigration Team at Russell-Cooke as an associate.
Nisha joins from Duncan Lewis Solicitors, where she managed a team of immigration solicitors and paralegals, was responsible for private client immigration referrals and specialised in all private client and business immigration matters.
In addition to advising on all immigration matters relating to businesses and educational institutions, the immigration team can now advise on an increased range of immigration matters for private clients, including:
- Discretionary applications (i.e. applications “outside” the immigration rules);
- Asylum applications;
- Human rights based applications;
- Appeals by individuals, against UKBA decisions, in the First-Tier Immigration and Asylum Tribunal and higher courts;
- Applications by overstayers.
Examples of work recently undertaken by Nisha include the following:
- Advised a Tier 1 Entrepreneur’s dependant on switching to become the main applicant and subsequently obtaining indefinite leave to remain as a Tier 1 Entrepreneur in exceptional circumstances;
- Advised high net worth individuals on obtaining indefinite leave to remain under Tiers 1 and Tier 2;
- Successfully challenged the UKBA by establishing (in the First-Tier Immigration and Asylum Tribunal) a Tier 2 (General) applicant’s right to leave to remain;
- Successfully challenged the UKBA by establishing (in the First-Tier Immigration and Asylum Tribunal) an ACCA student’s right to leave to remain under the Tier 1 Post-Study Work visa category;
- Forced the UKBA to reconsider a decision, under Tier 2 and Tier 4, before court proceedings were necessary;
- Advised the family of a British citizen on obtaining leave to remain “in-country” under Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights (right to family life);
- Advised on recent changes in the law relating to spouses, unmarried partners and civil partnership.